PayPal Donation
WoWProgress Rank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Midnight Carnival Forum Index -> Class Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMAmalthia
In-Game Guild Master

re: I don't really understand/want to maximize my class...

Fear not, Loyal Guildie! There's an app for that... Okay well, there are GUIDES for that, but quit wrecking my flow.

Image result for Pimp my toon
Pimp My Toon

So, Learning and Maximizing your toon can be done in exactly the same way, you just need to know where to go to find what you need, from people who make it their JOB to learn all the ins and outs.

But remember: Every time there is a patch, or an extended maintenance, you should go back to your resources and check for changes. I can't tell you how many times a simple change has completely changed my stat priority, and if I hadn't checked I'd have had no idea. 

The easiest way to find out if this has occurred is to subscribe to our Facebook News feed page, so when there are changes it will show up in your timeline, with the least amount of work. (THANK YOU, Ama!)

https://www.facebook.com/MidnightCarnival.KhazModan/

You should also keep a close eye on the Official Patch Notes and the Latest Updates, at LEAST every Tuesday/When you come back from an absence.

Resources:

Beginner - I need to learn how to play

New Player's Guide - The Warcraft Official New Player's Guide for Beginners. Don't REALLY teach you the ins and outs of what you need to do, but familiarizes you with the wow interface. This is NOT class specific. 

Returning Player's Guide - The Warcraft Official Guide to what's changed (most recently) since you've been gone. This is NOT class specific and doesn't go into great detail about UI/class/gameplay changes, it's just a brief overview. 

Wowhead.com - A whole bunch of beginner and leveling guides. Also accessible through the top navigation bar where it says (Spoiler Alert) "New Players" including Basic Class Guides, and Gearing before raids. Good stuff. 

Noxxic.com - World of Warcraft Character Optimization Guides and Spec Rankings. A lot of people will tell you that Noxxic is great "training wheels" for learning about class and spec specific optimization, however time and time again Noxxic has proven to be inaccurate, and complete trash in a raid/high end setting. But if you're not DOING that, you don't NEED that, so here is Noxxic. When you're ready to get more in depth, learning about your spec and class for higher end content, Noxxic is not the best choice. (It's basically trash)

There are also a number of class specific websites out there, dedicated to JUST your class, with tips and guides for each spec. I'm not going to list them all (I don't get paid for this!) But I will teach you how to google properly. Proper Keyword Searches are the Key:

https://www.google.com type in the search box (example) Mage Resource Guide. Hit enter. Read some stuff, it'll make you smarter. 

Intermediate - I get it, I can pretty much kill all the things, but my dps is low. Help?

Icy-veins - Great Choice. Class, Spec, and Leveling guides. IV offers an Introduction to your class, an Easy Mode guide (solo play or getting comfortable with a new spec, mostly), Spell Summary (Learn about CDs, Resources and Abilities), Builds and Talents - which currently offer the most output with the right gear? Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities, Stat Priority, Gems, Enchants, and Consumables, Macros and Addons, and finally Gear, Legendaries, and Best in Slot. It's written by experienced raiders, and is generally extremely informative. But it is not always 100% correct (Some specs are less popular and the guides are written by someone that doesn't play them as their main spec). 

Wowhead.com - Hey look! This again. It's good stuff. A whole bunch of Class guides. Also accessible through the top navigation bar, written both by the Raiders on staff, like IV, but also with access to User written guides. I can't vouch for the user guides, but the Wow-head guides are great, and also give you access to Raid Guides and Videos written by the people famous for the Fatboss Raid Guides (Boss kill video guides).

There are others out there, but other the years they have restructured or died out, and keeping track of them hasn't really been worthwhile.

Expert - RAWR I AM ALL THAT IS WOW!!!

Simmah down now, tough guy. The resources you've been given thus far, if read in depth and applied in game, are enough to make you an expert. The rest is practice, skill, gear and literally how fast you press your buttons. No seriously. image

How can we ENHANCE that? 

Well, there are a few ways. Making sure your gear is optimized it the biggest way and there are a few ways to do so. 

Checking your gear to make sure it's gemmed and enchanted properly is the first step, and it's super easy. Make sure you log out of WoW in the right gear, and go to askmrrobot.com and look yourself up. SUPER EASY.

Now, askmrrobot.com has a LOT of cool features you can also use, including an addon to track your gear and make a "shopping" list of things you need to optimize it, and a feature to search your bags for the best combination of gear you have, and check for where you should find your best in slot gear. But some of these awesome features are PAID features, but it's literally like a dollar a month, so you pay for the whole year for less than one month of WoW, and if you're looking to keep track of secondary stats and stuff, it's worth it. Seriously. It uses it's own addon that you install to generate a code you plug in on the website, and it does all the work for you. 

Next, You can can also simulate the stats on your gear to see what kind of output you are capable of and use that information to figure out how well you are/n't doing. 

Ok, so how do I DO that? God, you're needy. 

I'm going to let Wowhead explan that to you (aren't they great?) because Lazy. So lazy. 

How To Use Simulationcraft and Pawn - This is a guideline on how to use the basics of Simulationcraft, Pawn, and Statweights. 

Raidbots - The easiest way to use SimulationCraft. A resource for World of Warcraft players.

SimulationCraft is a tool to explore combat mechanics in the popular MMO RPG World of Warcraft. It is a multi-player event-driven simulator written in C++ that models raid damage.

Hey wait, you only listed two!? Yeah, you know how I found those? Google. Do the thing, soldier. I think you're ready now. Git 'er done. 

Lastly, you can run combat logs. What this does is analyze what you're already doing in game and compare it to other players who are similarly geared (that are uploading their logs) and tells you with numbers and percentages, how you're doing by comparison so you can make applicable changes. 

warcraftlogs.com - Is the most popular, and it records your combats, upload them to the site and analyze them in real time. Find out exactly what went wrong and discover what you need to do to fix it! It walks you through how to use it's own addon and website, so I am not going to. 

There you have it folks! I hope this helps you on your journey to be the best you possible, all it takes is a little work, some reading, and some effort. YOU CAN DO IT. 

Last edited by GMAmalthia on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

re: I don't really understand/want to maximize my class...

Class discords are also a great place to get class information. Most if not all of them have a class guide linked or posted somewhere. Plus they are usually the most up to date guides from what I've heard.

This Icy Veins page has a link to each class discord.

Icy Veins Page With Discord Links

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Midnight Carnival Forum Index -> Class Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: